"I wonder if that was from the pastrami rueben I had yesterday?"

Monday, September 21, 2020

Is it the wrong time of year for resolutions?

I never can seem to get the timing right.

Here are two of mine:  Journaling, and finishing the novel I'm 12 chapters into writing.

I'm a pessimist (no shit, says anyone who ever knew me), and I've always felt the world was close to the edge of the abyss.  Comes with any upbringing that includes knowledge of the existence of enough nuclear weapons to reduce the planet to a cinder.  But I've never felt we were closer to Armageddon than I have for the last 4 years.  I read through the Bible... twice... cover to cover.  There's a lot I don't understand there, but the most incomprehensible chapter by far is Revelations.  Seven-headed dragons making war with Mary's children.  Descriptions of angels that are anything but human.  Messages to the seven Christian churches of that age.  To be honest, my recollection of everything I've read is spotty these days.  But time and time again, Scripture comes back to me, like pop culture references.  I can't tell you what the mark of the beast is, and I wouldn't be quick to trust anyone who said they could.  I can't tell you if the donald is the antichrist.  Or if Hitler was.  Or if there are multiple antichrists.  What I can tell you is that these days the man in charge of the BUTTON with a capital B is a lunatic and a narcissist, and he's not alone in that respect.  There's a gangster in charge of Russia.  I don't know much about China, but I've heard that while they're not looking for a fight at present, they wouldn't back down from one, either.  

What does that change?  Nothing, really.  I've always lived by the assumption that today could be the last.  I've been wrong, every single day of my life so far.  You'd think I'd learn something from that.

You'd think....

No comments:

Post a Comment