"I wonder if that was from the pastrami rueben I had yesterday?"

Friday, February 22, 2013

I played Space Alert and I liked it

            Once a year a group of my wife’s closest high school friends gather from both ends of the county (from Hollywood to D.C.) to play… board games.  This year the gathering was on our home turf of Wisconsin at a renovated farm house with rooms and beds enough to put us all up for 4 days and 3 nights.  During the festivities we were visited by a chicken that escaped from a nearby coop.  Joining us this year for the first time was Lily, our 9 month old.

This practice is incomprehensible to a number of my wife’s coworkers, who think we play Monopoly and Scrabble for 96 hours straight.  Actually, prior to meeting my wife, the thought of a weekend of board games would have been pretty foreign to me as well.  I hadn’t yet encountered Munchkin, or Cosmic Encounter, or the Buffy the Vampire Slayer board game, or my new favorite, Space Alert.

This is not a new game, I know, but for anyone not familiar it is a real time game with a  soundtrack telling you in a monotone computer voice what threats (aliens) are appearing and when they will be draining your shields, blasting your ship, and eating your crew.  The first mission we played we were annihilated.  The second and third were much better.  I think we avoided getting hit at all on the third.  I’m looking forward to playing it again whenever I can wrangle the time and three other players together.

It’s been a long absence from this blog.  Been busy at work.  Planning another Pathfinder session soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment